Sunday 29 January 2012

It takes a website to raise a child

On Friday, I was given the opportunity to present at Brock's 2012 Teaching with Technology Showcase.  Given that I won't give a presentation or participate in a practicum without a Google site, I was thrilled to be presenting on websites in the classroom.  For me, the best part of the presentation was knowing that a few people committed to creating their own class websites.  Overall, my presentation included two parts:

Office Clip Art.com
Part 1:  The Sales Pitch
Along with covering the benefits to differentiated instruction, enrichment, engagement ... I covered the importance of facilitating connections.  It takes a village to raise a child, and we tend to take a passive role in fostering connections.  The student's village has changed from Bronfenbrenner's model, and we need to recognize the role of 21st century technology in our students' lives. We contact parents 3-5 times per term and rely on those contacts to create a bond between school-student-parents.  Our class lists are decided for us and those 60 or 75 minutes per day might or might not include the student's peers.  I believe that one of the critical functions of a class website is to bring the student's peers, parents, social media, internet and school / teachers together.

Part 2:  The Advice
Clipart Graphics
Based on my experience with my first website, I also offered some advice to those who visited my table.  The last thing I wanted was for someone to give up on setting up a website due to frustration.

  1. Start small and take time out of the equation:  pick one unit to start and make sure that it's not the current or next unit you're working on.  Give yourself some time to play with the website ahead of time.
  2. Decide how you want to organize your website:  I lost tons of time based on trial and error setups.  The organization can always be changed, but it's time consuming.  Google search your course code to see what others have done and ... pick something and stick with it during the initial creation phase.
  3. Choose one of the default themes:  I spent countless hours choosing backgrounds for my first website.  Aesthetics can be changed easily so get your site going first.
  4. Upload documents:  Google docs holds all of my rubrics, assignments, handouts, exemplars ... find a convenient way to get things on line.
  5. Lots of images:  Find some go-to sites for images.  For history, I tend to lean towards Wikipedia since all of the copyright details appear alongside the images.  For math, I will lean more towards Flickr (same reason).  Overall, make the site visually appealing and model appropriate use of web content at the same time.
  6. Get feedback everywhere:  Since you're creating a virtual textbook, solicit as much feedback from students, parents, colleagues ... as you can.  You're creating a resource for everyone, so try to find out what everybody would like.
  7. Finally ... don't get bogged down:  I got incredibly frustrated when I first tried to move my tabs to the top of the webpage.  Don't spend too much time trying to work things out by yourself, especially when Google sites have an active how to / help forum.

No comments:

Post a Comment